This is one of those super simple, chill day recipes that will give you a lovely comfy felling and make your house smell divine!
- medium/large mixing bowl
- cup and spoon measures
- regular loaf tin
- 2 & 1/2 cups of plain flour
- 1 & 1/2 tsp baking soda (aka bicarbonate of soda or bread soda)
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- 1 tbsp of caster sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup of dried fruit of your choice – I prefer sultanas
- 1 & 1/2 to 2 cups of buttermilk
- 1 beaten egg
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, butter the loaf tin and dust with some flour.
- Mix the dry ingredients together in the bowl.
- Make a well in the center and add the beaten egg and 3/4 of the buttermilk and combine together using the fork – it should be a soft mixture with no visible dry flour, add the rest of the buttermilk if you need to.
- Scrape the mixture into the loaf and bake for 45 to 55 mins until dark golden brown & a tap on the bottom of the loaf sounds hollow.
- Remove from the tin and allow to cool on a wire rack.
** TIP** If you don’t like a hard crust, wrap the loaf in a tea towel to cool
Best enjoyed with lashings of real butter and big mug of hot tea 🙂