There are hundreds if not thousands of recipes out there for leek and potato soup but this is the way I make it and it always goes down a treat! It’s easy, tasty and perfect comfort for these miserable afternoons with a lovely sambo, crusty rolls or some homemade brown bread. This recipe serves 2 people with some leftovers for the next day – if it lasts that long!
- medium saucepan
- chopping board
- chopping knife
- hand blender
- measuring jug
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 tbsp of butter
- 1 tbsp of oil
- 1 large, or 2 small/medium leeks, washed & sliced
- 2 medium or 1 large potato, peeled & diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 stock cubes of your choice – I always use one beef and one veg or chicken
- 750mls of boiling water
- a drizzle of double cream to swirl through the top when serving is optional
- Place the pan on a medium/high heat and add the butter, oil and diced onion.
- Gently fry the onion until softened then add in the leek and garlic and cook until the leek has soften.
- Add in the potato and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Make your stock using the stock cubes and boiling water and add to the saucepan.
- Turn the heat down to medium and leave to simmer for 15 minutes, then remove from the heat and blend using the hand blender until smooth.
Serve in warmed bowls, swirl a few drops of cream in and enjoy!